Super GP (Round 2) race report by Ronald Slamet

As every race in the northern region this year will be, we arrived at yet another unfamiliar circuit. With no testing done or any riding experience on Red Star Raceway we knew it was not going to be easy and had our work cut out for us. Arriving at the track early saturday morning for the first time, I had the opportunity to look at the track on paper and at least knew in which direction pit lane went.
Finally leaving pit lane and entering my first ever lap of RSR in saturday's FP1 I managed to stay out for a couple of laps to find familiarity with not only the track but the base setup we had in the bike. After a brief chat with Francois Breedt on what I would like to change, he immediately got on the job and the changes proved to be good.  By the start of FP2 I knew I would have to ride as hard as I can to feel were my limits are and how the bike reacts to it. We then managed to end the session 0.4225sec faster than FP1. Yet again Francois got to work with the help of Martin Paetzold and the changes on the suspension side made things a bit more comfortable. Superpole was up next and heading out for my flying lap I managed to drop down another 0.142sec of my previous time that left me in 8th position on the grid for sundays race. 
Standing on the grid in 8th position and seeing the two rows of riders in front of me I knew I had to get a good start to sit with the front row. The lights went out and a great start got me entering turn one in 5th place. By lap four I saw I could keep up with the riders in front of me but made a big mistake by keeping my eyes on my revs for a bit too long and and over shot my brake marker and ran off the circuit on the long back straight at about 200km/h. The Angels protecting me worked overtime there as by the time I made my way back to the track after a proper farming session the whole field was gone and nowhere to be seen. I worked hard to fight back from last position and managed to end the race in 8th position.
After playing catch up in race one and setting some good lap times I knew that a good start could leave me in  the hunt for a very good result. Once again lined up in 8th position the lights went out and once again I entered turn one in 5th. With Clint Seller running off the circuit I found myself fighting for third place. Within a few laps myself and Ivan van Niekerk pulled a gap on the rest of the field with me leading the battle and Ivan following  closely. The rest of the race distance to the flag felt like it took forever as my pit board displayed a gap of +0. I had to dig deep and pulled out all the cards in the bag to stay in front. Accelerating out of the last corner seeing the team wave their hands in the air I couldn't believe we actually getting on the podium at a track a new nothing about. 
This weekend left us in 5th place in the SA SuperGp championship and a definite eye opener to fight for the top three. Round three is at our home circuit and the team and I have high expectation for this race. Back to the drawing board and we will be back fighting harder than before.
A big thank you to David Bolding for coming with to RSR and for all the metal input and help on the day. To Martin Peatzol (MP Suspensions), Alain Jeanrenaud, Alfie Swanepoel for all the help and input to get the bike better. A huge thank you to Brad Anassis and the Anassis Racing team with Portable Shade for the hospitality and everything els.
To my Sponsors:
KawasakiSA, Mike Hopkins Motorcycles, Novel Motor Company, FG Enterprises, RST, I-S Freight Services, Portable Shade, Racebase Motorcycles and Arnie's Panel Shop
Kind Regards in motorsport

Leave a Reply




You can use these HTML tags

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>